FLASH NEWS :
- -A K G Navathi Celebration held on January 5th, 2014 click here to view the photos
- - Welcome to ASAN Memorial Association
- -The NCC Air Wing unit @ Asan Memorial Senior Secondary School organized an event in E-Waste and launched the waste management program to spread the awareness about E-waste and the need to recycle.
ABOUT ASAN MEMORIAL ASSOCIATION
Shri. A.K. Gopalan, Chairman & Founder Secretary with few other friends who were eminent literary figures and those deeply interested in public affairs decided to start and establish an independent memorial to Mahakavi Kumaran Asan in the city of Madras. It was primarily started to promote Malayalam Literary culture. The Asan Memorial Association (regd.) Madras was established on June13th 1965, with Shri. M.P.Damodaran as President, Dr. S.K. Nayar as Vice President, Shri A.K. Gopalan as Secretary and Shri. K.C. Abraham as Treasurer.
At a time when it was difficult for Malayalees and other linguistic minorities to get admissions to well-known schools for their children, on a suggestion by Dr. S.K. Nayar a school in the memory of Mahakavi Kumaran Asan was decided to open. On 28th May 1966, the Kerala Government officially leased the 3 acres of land in "Cochin House" to the Association for a period of 99 years.
A temporary shed was constructed in the compound for 5 classrooms in just 18 days, and ASAN MEMORIAL SENIOR SECONDARY SCHOOL was declared open on June 27th, 1966 - a red-letter day for the Association and its dedicated team led by Shri. A.k. Gopalan. The temporary shed bloomed into a three-storey building for the main school and a four-storey building to house the primary section with a Library and an Auditorium.
In 1969, the school received affiliation from the Central Board of Secondary Education, making it the first CBSE school in Chennai. With humble beginnings of just 24 students and 2 teachers, the ASAN MEMORIAL SENIOR SECONDARY SCHOOL today has on its roll 3,200 students from LKG to XII Std., with a teaching staff strength of 160 and non-teaching staff numbering 62.
The Quest continued . . .1986 marked another milestone crossed by the Association when our General Secretary Shri. A.K. Gopalan sensing the need for Vocational education opened the Hotel Management Institute in Chennai, making it the first of its kind in India in the private sector that offers high quality and job oriented courses.
Having successfully embarked upon and achieving considerable progress in promoting educational activities, the Asan Association has now to its credit the following list of institutions:
- 1. Asan Institute of Hotel Management & Catering Technology; 1986
- 2. Asan Memorial Matriculation Higher Secondary School; 1993
- 3. Asan Memorial College of Arts & Science; 1994
- 4. Asan Memorial Senior Secondary School; 1966
- 5. Asan Memorial Institute of Management; 1997
- 6. Kumaran Asan Memorial Higher Secondary School; 2001
- 7. Asan Memorial College of Engineering & Technology; 2002
- 8. Asan Memorial Dental College & Hospital; 2011
- 9. Asan Business School; 2011
- 10. The Carousel – Asan Play School; 2012
- 11. AKG Public School; 2014